Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

All the Fun of an Election Campaign...

So with only days before the Northern Territory election, which I'm sure has all of you on your the edge of your collective seats, I'd like to share with you some of favourite political chicanery from recent weeks:

  1. Sticking an "L" plate over someones face. We must never elect anyone with no experience you see, although I'm a little stuck as to what we do when the incumbent finally croaks and we have nobody with experience left. I think I have the vapours.
  2. The brilliant banner I saw slung up across the road from the service station while we were wrestling with the joys of renting a trailer just to get rid of the damned palm fronds (they are evil I tell you). I believe it read something like this "Honk! If you want safer schools and sustainable development." Now there's a call to arms that's up there with the whole I have a dream thing.
  3. My local member seems to be having a barbecue in the park EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND. Where on earth is the man getting all the sausages from? Is he backed by the meat industry? Should I expect to see some men in blue aprons dancing past my window shortly? (On a side note, I did love those meat ads)
  4. The candidate who lost his seat at the federal election and is now trying for this one. Like that annoying kid who wants an invite to your birthday party in primary school, he figures that if he just keeps bugging you, eventually you'll have to give in. To further my suspicions his slogan is "Dave's My Mate", I wonder if he just thinks we've got the really cool lolly bags with the sherbies and banana lollies
I have come to be extremely glad for a three week election campaign, although it has reduced the amount of free comedy for me, at least I don't have to pretend I care for very long.

0 comments: